Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Drift Assessment

1. Describe two situations that aggravated, bothered, shocked or otherwise stressed you during Drift 1. (Please note that the situation CANNOT be technology-related.)

> The wind was always bothering me. All my raw recordings had some sort of wind feedback d. I had to edit them down a lot to make it sound decent. Also it was hard to find a place that didn’t have some sort of traffic in the background. It seemed like the traffic was everywhere.

2. Describe, with details, two situations during Drift 1 in which you felt unusually peaceful, at ease, or contemplative.

> After I recorded a sound that I came across by pure luck. The sound was a man who had drained his battery and had just found someone with a car and cables. I just happened to be walking by at that exact moment. After that I felt very lucky. I also got that same feeling when I first listened to my raw recording of inside a manhole. There were so many sounds I was not expecting.

3. Describe three surprises or unexpected situations you encountered on your Drift and in the days that followed. The surprise could stem from your expectations that conflicted with "on the ground" realities, cultural or social issues of which you were previously unaware, feelings and reactions that you did not expect to have, appearances and soundings of things you did not expect, good or bad outcomes of "on the spot" decisions you had to make, or the discovery of "deeper" realities in the materials you
brought home. (Again, skip anything technology-related!)

>I found a sound Listening with headphones that I did not hear during the recording. It was a seagull and it felt like he was right next to my mic. I also wasn’t expecting to record a sound outside without some sort of traffic noise. It was hard to find a place. I had to look and listen hard but when I found one I was overjoyed.

4. Describe your favorite experience, situation, place, or recollection from your Drift. Be specific about what happened, how you felt, how you reacted, and why you think this particular experience affected you so much.

> I think the thing I like most was just searching for sounds. I liked walking around the city and just listening. When I found one I thought was worth listening to I was excited. All my searching had finally paid off. When I was done recording I was eager to search again.

No comments: