Monday, October 6, 2008

Reading Response

The Article I chose was by John Cage, The Future of Music Credo. I chose this because I believe this article is way ahead of its time. At first I thought it was written in 1958 because I saw the copyright first. Then as I was reading I noticed It was actually composed in 1937! This kind of blew my mind because many things Cage predicted are now true. 
The main point in Cage's article is that in the future no sound will be unattainable. He predicted that we would create machines that could make any tone or rhythm using any sound. Today we have machines very similar to his predictions. Synthesizers are being used by today's artist all the time to create new sounds. They then put these sounds into their music or their movies. Cage was dead on when he said, "No rhythm will be beyond the composers reach." 
Although this is a very old article it still relates to present times. I myself wish to compose things using sound. Cage predicted almost exactly our current "sound situation." Now we have millions of noises to work with. I want all sorts of sounds so I can create a certain mood or feeling. This is why the article is very ahead of it's time. 

No comments: